This is a very easy side to whip up and works well with many main dishes. I like to serve this straight from the baking tray, as the roast pumpkin pieces look beautiful as they come out of the oven.
- 500-600g/1.1-1.3 lb pumpkin (I like to use Kent/Jap pumpkin)
- 2 tbsp ghee, melted
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning blend
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200oC /400oF. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil or unbleached baking paper.
- Cut the pumpkin into thin slices, leaving the skin intact. Discard the seeds and pulp. Lay the pumpkin pieces flat on the baking tray to fit as many on as possible.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted ghee and Cajun seasoning together. With a basting brush or spoon, coat both sides of the pumpkin with the mixture. If you’d like a sweeter dish, you can also drizzle a little maple syrup over the pumpkin at this point.
- Roast in the oven for 15-25 minutes, flipping the pieces over when the top surface starts to brown and caramelise.
- Serve immediately.