This recipe is a pasta-free spin on an old favourite. Lasagna. A beautiful vegetable packed, layered and easily re-heated option for a mid-week lunch or dinner. This recipe makes 8 servings.
If you're avoiding dairy, simply omit the ricotta layer and add the cooked spinach into the vegetable and meat mixture.
- 3 large sweet potatoes (~220 g each), sliced lengthways into thin "sheets"
- one brown onion, diced
- 2 cups zucchini, diced into cubes
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, freshly ground
- 1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp ghee, melted
- 1 kg pasture-raised lean beef mince
- 1 jar (700 g) passata sauce (with no added sugar)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 500 g organic ricotta
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F and line 2 large baking trays with aluminium foil.
- Lay the sweet potato "sheets" onto the trays in a single layer and brush lightly with a little of the melted ghee. Bake for 10 minutes, or until just soft and a little brown around the edges. You may need to do a couple of batches to create all of your sweet potato layers.
- In a medium pan, heat a tablespoon of the ghee and cook the onion for 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, mushrooms, balsamic vinegar, salt and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce immediately to a low simmer.
- Stir frequently and cook for 10 minutes, or until the veggies are soft. Set aside.
- In a clean pan, add the remainder of the ghee and heat over medium/high. Add the beef mince and use a spatula to chop into small pieces as it cooks. Once just browned, add the tomato passata and mix well. Simmer on low for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small amount of water to the boil in a medium pot. Add the spinach and stir for a couple of seconds to coat the leaves. Cook for about 2 minutes, until wilted and dark green. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, chop the spinach into small chunks and add to a mixing bowl with the ricotta. Stir until well combined*
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the beef and vegetable mixture.
- Let the layering begin! Line a baking dish with aluminium foil.
- Using a ladle or 1/2 C measuring cup, spoon about 2 cups of the beef and vegetable mixture into the bottom of the dish.
- Add a layer of sweet potato slices. Note: they may not cover the entire surface, make sure you save enough for the remaining layers. Save the best ones for the top!
- Add another layer of meat and vegetables, then using a spatula, evenly spread half of the ricotta mixture on top, followed by another layer of sweet potato.
- Repeat for your final layer, with more meat and veggies and another layer of ricotta and spinach.
- Place your final sweet potato sheets on top for the finishing touch.
- Bake at 180C/355F for 35 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing into 6 (large) or 8 (smaller) servings.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for the perfect back up meal!
*If you're avoiding dairy, simply omit the ricotta layer and add the cooked spinach into the vegetable and meat mixture.