You’ll never know that this tasty zucchini slice isn’t filled with cheese and dairy! It’s the perfect mid-morning snack or on-the-go breakfast and can be enjoyed as a vegetarian option if the bacon is omitted.
I like to make a batch of this on the weekend and take a big slice with me for a morning snack. For athletes, this is the perfect snack during a competition or even out on a long bike ride or hike.
- 2⁄3 cup (150g) bacon (look for one without added sugar or artificial flavourings and colourings)
- 3-4 cups (600g) grated zucchini (about 3 medium sized)
- 2 small brown onions
- 8 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups (140g) raw almond meal
- 1/3 cup (75g) macadamia nut oil
- 1 small red chilli, finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F and line a 15 x 30 cm (6 x 12 inches) dish with baking paper.
- Dice the bacon and fry over high heat until brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, wash and grate the zucchini and onions.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and then stir through the almond meal.
- Add the zucchini, onion, oil, chilli and pre-cooked bacon and mix well. The mixture should be just pourable.
- Pour into the lined baking dish and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through. Leave to cool before slicing into small squares. The slice should last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and will also freeze well.
Spice things up with added ingredients like diced sweet potato, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes or herbs.
For a "cheesy" topping, sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top of the slice before baking.